CHI St. Joseph's Health

AED Grant

AED Annual Reports

The locations receiving AED’s were:

In year three of the grant, CHI St. Joseph’s Health placed 4 AEDs throughout its service region at the following locations:

  • Hubbard County Sheriff’s Department (three AEDs), 301 Court Ave., Park Rapids
  • Faithbridge Church, 1505 Park Ave. S, Park Rapids

During the first and second years of the grant, CHI St. Joseph’s Health placed 14 AEDs throughout its service region at the following locations:

  • Bethany Lutheran Church, 100 3rd Ave., Nevis
  • Blueberry Pines Golf Club, 39161 U.S. Hwy. 71, Menahga
  • Citizens National Bank, 300 1st St. W., Park Rapids
  • Hubbard County Public Works, 101 Crocus Hill St., Park Rapids
  • Hubbard County Social Services, 301 Court Ave., Park Rapids
  • Hubbard County Transfer Station North, Hwy. 71, Laporte
  • Hubbard County Transfer Station South, 812 Henrietta Ave. S., Park Rapids
  • Hugo’s Family Marketplace, 101 4th St. E., Park Rapids
  • Park Rapids Century School (three AEDs), 501 Helten Ave., Park Rapids
  • Park Rapids Area High School (three AEDs), 401 Huntsinger Ave., Park Rapids

Explanation of Sudden Cardiac Arrest:

Sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) is a condition in which the heart suddenly stops beating. Blood no longer flows to the brain and other vital organs. SCA can be fatal if not treated within minutes.

SCA is a leading cause of death in the U.S. and the American Red Cross estimates 350,000 people to experience SCA in the coming year. Improved access to AEDs and training could potentially save 50,000 lives annually.

Time is of the essence when a person is experiencing an SCA, and emergency treatment with a defibrillator can be lifesaving. The Red Cross calculates that every minute defibrillation is delayed, the chance of survival is reduced approximately 10 percent.

AED Map

The Health Resources Services Administration awarded the three-year grant to CHI Mercy Hospital Devils Lake and 11 CHI rural hospitals within its Fargo Division through its Rural Access to Emergency Devices Grant Program. The third and final year of the grant closed in August. The total estimated cost for the AED Collaborative project is $1,034,720 over the full three years. Of this, HRSA has awarded $595,920, 58% in federal funds for three, 12-month budget periods. The remaining $438,800, 42% is funded by nongovernmental sources.